To: Event Organizers
Dukes County has established the following system for permitting private parties on Eastville Point Beach or Norton Point Beach. There is a special set of rules and regulations and permiting process for parties at the Sylvia State Beach. The process for applying for a permit is described below, and should be initiated as early as possible, but always at least one week prior to the planned event.
PERMITTING PROCESS - Eastvilee Point Beach
Norton Point Beach
1. The applicant sends a letter providing details of how they propose to use one of our beaches. Letter includes date, time and duration of the event, an estimate of the number of attendees, and details about food to be provided. Please address the letters to County Manager, PO Box 190, Edgartown, MA 02539. These letters may also be faxed to 508-696-3841
2. The County replies with this letter describing details of the application process and a copy of our beach rules and regulations
3. If food is being served, the applicant is required to have an island licensed caterer preparing the food. A one day license is available from the Board of Health (in Edgartown: 508-627-6120 or in Oak Bluffs: 508-693-5502).
4. An event in Oak Bluffs is required to have a permit from the Oak Bluffs Fire Department (508-693-0077). The County must receive a copy of this permit.
5. The applicant may be required to provide a police traffic detail for the event as described below. The applicant is responsible for arranging this traffic detail with the appropriate Police Department (in Edgartown: 508-627-6115 or in Oak Bluffs: 508-693-5513).
6. If a sign is to be put up during the event, the applicant is responsible for contacting the Building Inspector to ensure that the sign is in compliance with local zoning (in Edgartown: 508-627-4343 or in Oak Bluffs: 508-693-0750).
7. The applicant is required to provide handicapped accessable toilet facilities as described below. Companies renting toilets are listed in the yellow pages (Toilets – Portable).
8. Upon receipt of the appropriate permits, fee and cleaning deposit (as described below), the County will issue a permit for the event. The County will then fax a copy of the permit to the appropriate Board of Health, Police Department and Fire Department.
9. Non-profit organizations must provide proof of their non-profit status.
10. The County does not provide ANY guaranteed parking. The applicant is encouraged to use public transporatation or shuttles or taxis since parking may be difficult to find.
11. County beaches do not have lifeguards.
12. The applicant MUST have all permits and the catering license in their possession during their event.
13. The applicant is required to remove all rubbish, leaving the beach as clean as they found it.
14. The cleaning deposit will be refunded if the beach is properly cleaned after the event.
FEE SCHEDULE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS