Animal Shelter of Martha’s Vineyard
has a new website: www.animalshelterofmv.org
The Shelter is located at the old MSPCA building at 1 Pennywise Path
off the Edgartown - Vineyard Haven Road in Edgartown.
Animal Shelter Becomes Independent Organization
As of Jan. 1, 2012 the Animal Shelter of Martha’s Vineyard became a fully independent, federally chartered, not-for-profit organization.
Since 2009, more than 300 dogs, cats, guinea pigs, bunnies and other Island pets have found a home through the Animal Shelter of Martha’s Vineyard.
Located on Pennywise Path in Edgartown, the shelter was built in 1934 by the late Kitty Foote. In 1947 Kitty appealed to the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA) to take over the operation of the shelter. The society agreed and for the next 50 years managed and ran an MSPCA at the site of Ms. Foote’s Animal Rescue League.
In 2009, a financial shortfall forced the MSCPA to plan a closing of the Island facility. Through a public-private partnership formed by volunteers and Dukes County, the Animal Shelter of Martha’s Vineyard was created. For two years the MSPCA provided an open-ended, no-cost lease for the group to use the facility
In late 2011 plans were made by the MSPCA to give the building and land of the facility to the Animal Shelter of Martha’s Vineyard at no cost.
Through the efforts of many over more than 70 years, Ms. Foote, the MSPCA, Dukes County, and the generosity of so many people, the domestic animals of Martha’s Vineyard continue to have a safe shelter and an advocate to find them safe, loving and permanent homes.
For more information or if interested in helping the work of the Animal Shelter of Martha’s Vineyard, call 508-627-8662.
About the ASMV:
After the MSPCA announced the closing of the animal shelter in Edgartown, a group of volunteers worked hard to make sure that this important community service will stay in place. Dukes County was asked at the All-Island Selectmen meeting to step in and help save this function for all island towns and residents. Starting May 1, 2010 the County took over the shelter and developed a 6-month short-term plan and budget. The County used its reserve funds to front the money for the operation with the understanding that the county reserve fund will be replenished by the towns if needed. In the meantime a long-term plan was be developed for funding the operation. The shelter supported itself mostly through adoption fees, donations and fundraising events until it became independent non-profit organization and separated from the County on January 1, 2012.